New Utah State Archives Location

The Utah State Archives has moved to its newly completed building next to the Rio Grande. The new contact information is:

Utah State Archives
Attn: Research Center
346 S Rio Grande St
Salt Lake City, UT 84101-1106
Email: ArchivesResearch@utah.gov
Phone: 801-531-3848
Fax: 801-531-3854

The two-story structure will house the division's administration, patron services, records analysis, and micrographics sections as well as store the permanent records collection.

The division allocated the week of August 2-6 to vacate its administrative offices on Capitol Hill and occupy the new facility immediately south of the historic Rio Grande Depot. Except for special appointments, all State Archives offices (including the public research center and the off-site records center) were closed for the week. Transfer of the State Archives' permanent collection into the automated storage and retrieval shelving (ASRS) unit took place the following week. Capable of storing 50,000 cubic feet of records, the triple-deep ASRS unit allows for approximately 5-10 years of growth.

The new building's first-floor training room initially will serve as a temporary public research room. Project plans eventually call for the divisions of State Archives and State History to share a common reading room in the remodeled south wing of the Rio Grande Depot, situated adjacent to the new facility. The anticipated date of completion for the remodeling is in December. Landscaping around the building is not expected to be completed until mid-September.

A dedication ceremony for the new State Archives Building is planned in October in conjunction with the annual observance of Utah Archives Month.

An $8 million bond for a State Archives Building was included in the $65 million bonding bill for new projects approved by the Utah State Legislature in March 2003. Using a design-and-build concept, construction of the building began with a groundbreaking ceremony on July 29, 2003.

Utah's 65-year-old State Archives Building in the northwest corner of the State Capitol grounds originally was constructed as the State Road Test Building in 1939. The Utah State Archives moved its administration, records management, and micrographics, sections from the Capitol basement into the refurbished, two-story stucco building in February 1984. Following asbestos removal, the aging building is scheduled for demolition as part of the ongoing Utah State Capitol Building and Grounds Restoration Project.

Sources: Conference of Intermountain Archivists. CIMA Newsletter, Aug 2004, Jeff Malcomson, editor, and Utah State Archives, What's New.

Posted by Ray Matthews on September 02, 2004 at 12:07 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | Send this story to a friend!
Comments